I volunteer as a K-12 Student Science Educator on an "available upon request basis." My contributions to K-12 community activities include:
· Hosted 120 BASIS Oro Valley elementary school students, teachers, and parents for a UA campus visit. Designed, prepared, and implemented 3 soils outreach activities (Soil Dig, Build Your Own Terrarium, and Just Passing Through Infiltration Experiment). Recruited and organized 11 undergraduate and graduate student volunteers to assist with the outreach event.
· Led three one-hour soil demonstrations at Presidio School (Tucson, AZ) for middle and high school classes where students were taught how to sample soil and measure soil pH in the school’s future garden plot.
· Volunteered at Sam Hughes Elementary Green Group’s Earth Week soil painting activity where students learned what natural processes caused the color differences in the soils used for painting.
· Taught students how to texture soil during UA MESA’s “Earth Sciences Saturday Academy,” which brought local middle school students onto college campus to participate in a series of activities hosted by graduate student volunteers.
· Judged at the Sam Hughes Elementary School science fair where >15 projects were examined and selected students were interviewed