Name: Erin Rooney
Position: PhD Student
Contact Information: erin.rooney[at]oregonstate[dot]edu
Background: Born and raised in Fort Collins, CO. Fan of polar landscapes and permafrost. Still hoping to see a polar bear.
PhD Soil Science (Oregon State University) Estimated 2021
MS Soil Science (University of Wyoming) 2017
BFA Theatre Performance (University of Wyoming) 2013
Permafrost Soils: Increasing freeze-thaw cycle frequency in permafrost-affected soils and subsequent impacts on soil porosity, aggregate stability, nutrient distribution, and organic carbon storage.
Agricultural Soils: Phosphorus transformations in dryland calcareous soils. Supporting farmers and other land managers by working within the restraints of the given environment and system.
Honors and Awards:
Oregon State University-Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Distinguished Graduate Research Program Fellow,
Richland, Washington, 2019-current
· Hosted by Dr. Vanessa Bailey in the Biological Sciences Department.
· OSU-PNNL Distinguished Graduate Research Program Fellowship
· Arctic Institute of North America Grant-in-Aid Scholarship, 2019
· Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, EMSL Science THEME, 2018
· OSU Learning Innovation Grant, 2019: Mobile AR Sandbox
· OSU Learning Innovation Grant, 2018: Interactive Landslide Model
· Department of Crop and Soil Science MAR Sandbox supporting funds
· CZO-SAVI International Scholarship, 2018
· Forest, Range, and Wildland Soil Division Luxmoore Travel Grant
· OSU Witters Fund Scholarship, 2018-2019
· Department of Crop and Soil Science Travel Grants, 2018-2019
· Oregon State University Graduate School Travel Grant
· Geological Society of America Graduate Research Grant, 2018
· Awarded Provost Distinguished Graduate Fellowship, 2017-2018
· ASA, CSSA, SSSA Future Leaders in Science Award, 2018
· Women in Science, Portland Scholarship
· College of Agriculture Beyond the Classroom Grant, 2015-2016
· Cheney Scholarship for International Travel, 2015-2016
· 2nd Place in Graduate Student Competition in ASA Land Management Session, ASA, CSSA, SSSA Meeting, 2017
Rooney, E., M. Dragila, A. Gallo, J. Hatten, O. Qafoku, L. Reno, M. SanClements, T. Varga, R. Lybrand. Impact of freeze-thaw cycles on soil porosity in upland permafrost soils. AG 830, Permafrost and Periglacial Environments, UNIS, Longyearbyen, Svalbard, Norway, 27 May, 2019. (Talk)
Rooney, E., R. Lybrand, J. Hatten, A. Gallo, M. SanClements. Impact of freeze-thaw cycles on carbon stability in upland permafrost soils. In Abstracts, International Soils Meeting, Soil Science Society of America, San Diego, CA, 9 Jan., 2019. (Talk)
Rooney, E., & R. Lybrand. Impact of high frequency freeze-thaw cycles on permafrost-affected soils and development of a carbon vulnerability index for Arctic soils. Department of Crop and Soil Sciences, Graduate Student Research Proposal, Corvallis, OR, 26 Nov., 2018. (Talk)
Rooney, E., and R. Lybrand. Proposal of vulnerability index for soil organic carbon in Northern Circumpolar permafrost soils. Crop and Soil Science Department, Corvallis, OR, 13 Nov., 2017. (Poster)
Rooney, E., and J. Norton. Effects of cover crops on phosphorus availability and wheat biomass in calcareous soils. In Abstracts, ASA Land Management and Conservation, Soil Science Society of America-Crop Society of America-Agronomy Society of America Annual Meeting, Tampa, FL, 23 Oct., 2017. (Talk) Won 2nd place in the Graduate Student Competition.
Rooney, E., and J. Norton. Effects of cover crops and compost on phosphorus availability and wheat biomass production in calcareous soils. Thesis Defense, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY, 4 Aug., 2017. (Talk)
Rooney, E., and J. Norton. Effects of cover crops and compost on phosphorus availability and wheat biomass in calcareous soils. In Abstracts, High Plains Organic Farming Conference, Cheyenne, WY, 23 Feb., 2017. (Talk + Poster)
Rooney, E., J. Norton, J. Reeve, U. Norton. Effects of compost and cover crops on phosphorus availability in calcareous soils. In Abstracts, ASA Land Management and Conservation, , Soil Science Society of America-Crop Society of America-Agronomy Society of America Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, 7 Nov., 2016. (Talk)